Skip to content

Inbound Students and Residents

Inbound exchange students have the opportunity to engage in studies at the Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University (MDKKU) for a period of 2 weeks or more as part of the study abroad programs from their home universities. Students can choose from 21 different departments, gaining valuable experience and expanding their knowledge in various medical fields.

Join us to enhance your medical education through global collaboration and experience the rich academic environment at MDKKU.



Being enrolled at the home university

Being nominated by the partner university under reciprocal exchange agreement



1. Complete an Application form

2. A copy of passport (valid for at least 6 months after study abroad completion at MDKKU)

3. A nomination letter from the home university

4. An official transcript (with the university seal and verified as true copies by the home university)

5. A Résumé or CV

6. A Statement of Purpose

7. Certificate of English Proficiency (for students who are not native English speakers)*

8. A Communicable Disease Prevention Certification, certify by physician 

9. A Chest X-ray Certification, certify by a physician 

10.Proof of international health insurance** (in English only and must have a branch office in Thailand)

11.A photo in JPEG format with size 1200 x 1400 pixels. (The photo background must be either in plain blue or white and a shirt must be plain white with a collar and without suit, tie, blouse, etc.)

All required documents have to be submitted in the International Relations Office, MDKKU, email: (PDF file only). 

* This requirement is waived for exchange and visiting students who are from native-English-speaking countries. Inbound Students and Residents who are from English-medium institutions can provide a certifying letter from the home university as proof of their proficiency in English.

** A proof of International health insurance policy (in English only) must cover hospital inpatient (IPD), outpatient (OPD), accident, and COVID-19 treatment a the private hospitals, issued by an insurance company that is widely recognized in Thailand, such as Generali, FWD General Insurance, AXA, Allianz, Tokio Marine Insurance, or AIA Group. The insurance issued by recognized insurance that has an office in Thailand will facilitate your medical consultation and treatment from the private hospital without advance payment during your stay in Thailand. 

Visa Application

Once a student’s application to MDKKU has been approved, a letter of acceptance, along with a letter for a visa application, will be issued. International students require a Non-Immigrant Education Visa (category ED) to study in Thailand. Applications should be made at any Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate well before departing for Thailand.

Required Documents:

Visa application form

Passport, with a remaining validity of not less than 6 months

Two recent 4 x 6 cm full-face photos

A letter of acceptance/admission from KKU

Evidence of adequate finances as determined by the Royal Thai Embassy

Students can apply for a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. Each entry allows a 90-day period of stay in Thailand. This can be extended to cover the full period of studies.

Visa Extension

Students can extend their student visa before its expiry date by submitting the following documentation:

1. IR 4 (Visa extension letter request)

2. A photocopy of the passport

3. Student ID photo in JPEG format

4. Proof of international health insurance** (in English only and must have a branch office in Thailand)

5. Grade report

The visa extension fee is 1,900 Baht. 

If the visa is about to expire while in Thailand, students should notify the International Relations Office at least four weeks before the expiry date to allow enough time to prepare the required documents and procure the authorized signatures. The visa extension must be submitted in person at the Immigration Bureau. Ultimately, students are responsible for ensuring that they renew their visa before the expiration date. Overstaying a visa is a serious issue that will result in daily fines and possible deportation. This lapse will be stamped on the students’ passport and become part of their record at the Immigration Bureau. If the overstay exceeds 40 days, the student must leave the country. 

In addition, the overstay fine is 500 Baht per day, up to a maximum of 20,000 Baht. Students may check the Immigration Bureau’s website for more details and inquire about any new steps and/or changes in the process.

90-Day Notification

Once the Immigration Bureau has admitted students into the country, their passport will be stamped with the conditions of entry. One such condition is the 90-Day Notification.
Students may check the Immigration Bureau’s website for more details and inquire about any new steps and/or changes in the process.

Required Documents

90-Day notification form TM.47 available at the Student Exchange Unit

Original passport

Please note: There is a 2,000 Baht fine for a late 90-Day notification.

Re-Entry Permit

Students holding a one-year extension visa who plan to spend their holidays outside of Thailand need to apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit before their departure. Otherwise their visa will be invalidated and they will have to go through the whole process of getting the proper student visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside Thailand.
The re-entry permit can be obtained at the Khon Kaen Immigration Bureau.

Required documents: 

1. Re-entry Permit form TM.8

2. One recent 4 x 6 cm full-face photo

3. A copy of the page containing the most recent entry visa

4. A copy of the page containing the stamp and “Kingdom of Thailand “ label

5. A copy of the photo and information page of the passport

6. 1,000 Baht for a single entry or 3,800 Baht for a multiple entry permit

Note: When filling out any of the aforementioned application forms, students must use the full name as it appears on their passport.

Here are some options for accommodations close to the hospital within walking distance:


Please note that MDKKU does not provide on-campus housing for postgraduate students or residents.