On April 28, 2023, we congratulated exchange students from Wakayama Medical University and Fujita Health University, Japan on the completion of their elective exchange program with us. The students completing the program were:
- Mr. Takuto Hirata, Wakayama Medical University, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Miss Hinako Tanaka, Wakayama Medical University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Miss Mari Hayashi, Wakayama Medical University, Department of Surgery
- Miss Isui Harie, Wakayama Medical University, Department of Surgery
- Miss Mizuna Wakahara, Fujita Health University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Mr. Kosuke Sumi, Fujita Health University, Department of Orthopedics
- Mr. Takamoto Bando, Fujita Health University, Department of Orthopedics.
The students gave final presentations on their elective program sharing their academic and clinical training experiences and their multi-cultural experiences with Thai food, people, culture, and places. They seemed impressed with their visit to Khon Kaen, and KKU-MD was pleased to be part of their successful time and to have them in our faculty.
“I met many kind doctors in my department taking care of us. They allowed me to wear a gown, and I could join many operations. Here, I could hold a laparoscopic camera, forceps, and sutures. I’m truly grateful to have had these experiences,” said a Wakayama Medical University student.
“In the labor room, I took part in a caesarean section. I sucked amniotic fluid out of a baby’s mouth. This’s my first time to do it. I was really impressed! In free time, I talked to doctors and residents a lot. I found that the circumstances in clinical practices are similar to Japan, such as working life, popular department, and so on. It’s interesting! One thing that I felt most surprised is that almost all Thai doctors and medical students can speak and use medical terms in English,” said a Fujita Health University student.
Reporting by Sathaphorn Onlamun
Editing by Prof. John F Smith